Friday, August 1, 2008

Over coming a Phobia


It's been a goal of mine to over come my (possibly clinically diagnosable) phobia of snakes. This started when I was very young, although I do remember touching a snake my Uncle Garth had caught, so this tells me I wasn't born with the phobia. Jordan (my dear brother who I have recently come to forgive) would throw them at me, sneak up and put them in my face or on my lap, once he even pushed me in a barely lit barn and shut the door with a huge rattle snake in a glass fish tank on the shelf at eye level hissing and rattling at me. Anyway....needless to say I've struggled with this for quite some time. This really put a damper on my style of living, I spend a lot of time in the rivers, hiking, and camping so the anxiety of having an encounter has bothered me. Well to make this long story shorter I was finally able to touch one at the Idaho Falls Zoo on Saturday. It was an amazing feeling to overcome something that has bothered me my whole life. Mind you...I don't' like snakes, and being surprised by them still bothers me, but someday I'll be ready to face them anywhere or/and anytime.

5 comments:

  1. GOOD FOR YOU . I HATE THEM TO, BUT AM NOT EVER WANTING TO OVERCOME IT. I THINK I'LL JUST CONTINUE HATING THEM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jing, you are one tough cookie. :) I never quite understood how you were so scared of snakes... but then some don't understand my fear of spiders. So, now that I have read your post, I think I might consider (but might not) getting over my own phobia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. J- thats completely disgusting. never ever will i do that.

    good to see you last weekend. missya, loveya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your brave...I could never do something like that! We should totally get together sometime next week, the kids would have a ton of fun together, anyday would work for me. I see your pregnant, congratulations! hope your feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! what the heck...facing your fears head on? Sorry I'm not with you on that one but good luck!

    ReplyDelete